Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Enduring til the End--The Milo Marathon


So last year I wanted to run the Milo marathon. I even started to train. I trained once and it was no special training. Instead of driving to work I decided to walk. Granted the distance from where I parked my car and work was very short, I still had to start somewhere. So I start my walk and after a few meters, I ran out of breath and was very tired. So I reassure myself that this is an average start but at least I attempted to start. So I take a taxi back to my car. Ok don`t laugh. I know I am totally out of shape. Needless to say as soon a as I got into my car, I realized I was not ready to run 100meters let alone run a 52km race.


Running a marathon has always been on my list of things to do before thirty. I have this list of milestones I must achieve before I turn 30 in order of priority. Number 15 is to run a marathon. I am gradually approaching thirty and need to start crossing many things off my list. Number 16 is to go bungee jumping but I had to tackle 15th first.

I heard of this year’s milo marathon and I was very excited. The timing was perfect. I was not too busy with any commitments. So I ask my friend for a registration form. Now registering for the Milo marathon if you a first timer can be a bit tedious, since there is not a lot of information about the registration process. So to get more information, I called Nestle Ghana Limited and a polite lady was willing to assist me. She explained the process to me. The process is very simple. You pick up an application form, fill it out and drop one part of the application form. You take the other part which has been filled by the registering officer, pay 2 cedis and that’s that. You need to know where the registration centers are located. I just went to the nestle office and registered there. The officer who registered me was surprised I wanted to register for the marathon, but he did what he had to do and wished me good luck. I smiled and said thank you. But we both knew I needed more than luck. What I needed was a miracle to be able to complete a 52km race.


Contrary to normal and acceptable behavior, I didn`t train. I know this was a dumb thing to do. But in my defense, the last time I trained, I talked myself out of running the marathon. I figured I was going to run the race on sheer determination. Oh I was also planning to use adrenaline by imaging I was being chased by a man eating lion. So a day to the marathon, I got a good night’s rest. I woke up at 5:00 am got all dressed for the marathon. I believe as a marathon runner you must dress light so you can be free to run. However I was not there to win. I was just there to see if could complete the race. I was afraid I would fall and hurt myself, so I covered up well. When I was done and looked in the mirror I had a good laugh. I looked like I was going to officiate the race instead of run it. Well at least I was well covered up.

I go the Teshie Nungua barrier which was the starting point. There were literally hundreds of people at the park. Most of them were men. I immediately felt intimidated. I started to contemplate if what I was doing was a good idea. So I had to spend 5 mins psyching myself up and telling myself I can`t give up now. I just remembered how my friends back at work told me that with no training I would not go far in the race. I just had to prove to myself that I could run a marathon. So I joined the queue to pick up my t-shirt.

Once you present your registration form, your thumb is marked and you a given a t-shirt with your number. My number was 1978. Wow that was a big number, but I hoped I would do better than that in terms of positioning.
The race started one and half hours late. You could tell who the serious athletes were. They stood by themselves and were stretching. I was considered a joke by my fellow runners. Most of them laughed at me and said I was not dressed appropriately for the race and they could see I lacked training. I explained to them I was just there to be part of the experience and see if I could finish the race. They just laughed at me and said I wouldn`t even make it half way and why run if I did not intend to win. Well sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.

In summary I run the race and yes I finished. I used 7 hours to run the race, I got sun burned , dehydrated and I couldn`t walk for 2 days, but I finished the race. I loved the experience. People kept telling me give up and take a taxi. I realized that with determination and will power you can do anything. I wanted to give up several times. I reached points where I could not even move a muscle but I just kept going. The funny thing was that the more people who told me to give up, the more I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.

So Number 15 is off my list. I run marathon and I may run again next year. Now I need to bungee jump. Keep reading I will update you on if I get the chance to do it.

2 comments:

Kojo Olabode-Williams said...

That was sheer determination at work there! Keep it up and the sky will be your stepping stone!

Unknown said...

Vintage Regina!